Tuesday 25 November 2008

Desmond and The Bittersweet Symphony.

I've been thinking about Sydney... a lot.

I miss the sidewalks. I miss the way the city is laid out in grids. I miss the roads. I miss the big open field outside Alfred Park or whatever it's called.
I miss the way the sun warms me up, and the way the breeze shows-up the sun by making me cool. I miss chinatown.
I miss the way we walked everywhere we went. I miss the hot chocolate outside the station, and the mineral water. I miss the coins.
I miss the flimsy train tickets.
I miss the trains, and the road dividers. I miss the way we had to think twice about buying food.
I miss the whole idea of walking around, aimlessly as it were - one destination, but so many alternative routes. I miss the whole notion of cold sand that is so alien to me, here on a tropical island.
I watch you on discovery channel, and there's a bittersweet familiarity that grips me deep down. I've been to where you are! But "I've been"... and that makes the longing deeper, knowing that I was there but had to leave you.
I miss you because no one knew me.