Monday 26 January 2009

Desmond and the CNY Borne of the Reel.

My uncle passed me a stack of DVDs today. Some were DVDs I used to watch in his room as a kid. I had a mild surprise as I remembered; despite what I said two entries ago, I did watch and enjoy loads of Mandarin flicks as a young boy!

It was like flipping through a yearbook and remembering classmates whom I'd long forgotten. I grinned as I looked through the DVDs - I used to watch Mandarin horror flicks!!! Asian horror flicks are wayyyyy scarier than Hollywood ones!

We forgot to take the ones we wanted when we left, and so my brother and I rushed back to get them while our parents waited downstairs. My uncle was giving us a ride home, and had gone to get the car.

Once at the front door, we realised that my grandfather had locked the gate, and gone into the kitchen. So we spent a few minutes shouting for our rather-deaf grandpa, who of course, played his part well -- he didn't hear us at all.

We were desperate, and desperate times called for desperate measures. So, braced with desperate measure-ment, I sort of "broke into" the house, with a little sticky-finger-ing. I was terribly nervous, because I didn't want the neighbours to think I was a burgler. And I didn't want to scare my grandfather to a premature death if he suddenly walked out and saw two figures sneaking around.

Anyways, we went in, searched in panic, and got out of the house very quickly. And I had to reverse the "break in" which was also nerve-wrecking, because "unbreaking-in" looks just as bad as breaking in.

My grandfather never found out!

It was scary, but quite an adrenaline rush! And I felt like one of the brothers in Supernatural. They do a fair bit of lock-picking and breaking and entering, which was a reason I loved the show. (NOT because I love breaking and entering, but I liked the idea of the unlikely "break-the-law" kinda heroes.)

So that was my Chinese New Year.

(Thinking back, I realised my brother just ran out immediately after he got his DVD!! He didn't even wait for me to lock up! DANIEL!!! So I guess it wasn't like Supernatural after all. Dean and Sam are good accomplices!!)

No comments: