Sunday 5 October 2008

Desmond and Blockbuster Whatever-day-it-is Movie.

Today feels strange. Nice strange.

It feels as if I'm holidaying in some country, and I've had a long day. And now, I'm in my hotel room, or resort, or (more likely) budget accomodation. Watching a blockbuster whatever-day-it-is movie. Sipping familiar coke from an unfamiliar coke can.

These are the times when you feel that strange, but nice, feeling. A concoction of sorts. Of the knowledge of the temporal, pseudo-reality that will fade in a couple of days (which you countdown to); mixed with the understanding that said reality hasn't arrived yet. Throw caution to the wind, for now.

I'll stay up late, because tomorrow I'm going to the countryside late in the day. The promise of a farm-life experience I'll never forget; that'll take two hours. Then I'll head to a local diner, for a taste of local food. I'll meet locals, and they'll smile and make merry talk of my foreign-ness. No one to know, no one who knows me.

But that's tomorrow.

Right now, I'll sit back on the couch, as I hear the sound of night play in my ears; in the background of a room that I'll know for but a few days. I'll recognise sounds of cars passing and sirens wailing that I don't recognise.

I'll feel the ridges on the sofa's fabric, my legs drawn up to my chest. Eyes on the screen; mind numbed by the activity of the day; heart falling desperately in love with the present, half-pining for the past, half-seeking for the future - a future that could be this. A future that should be, this.

I'll close my eyes, lean back and soak in the moment. This moment where my past, present and future become as fluid as the drink I hold. I'll feel it slip through my fingers, but I'm a willing participant in the spillage.




How sweet the sound of noise that I cannot understand. How much like silence is this noise.




Then I'll catch myself, snapped back into consciousness. Hotel room, blockbuster-whatever-day-it-is movie, coke can.

It's so late now. I thought it was still 10:01pm. I guess I was wrong. A few more hours to daybreak. I can't wait for the 2 hour farm-life experience, but right now... I wish daybreak could hold for awhile.

No comments: